University of Pennsylvania Law School
State Bar of New York
United States District Courts:
Southern District of New York
Eastern District of New York
Charles E. Clayman is one of Clayman & Rosenberg LLP’s founding partners and presently serves as the firm’s chairman. Chuck specializes in white-collar criminal defense. For more than four decades he has represented individuals in federal and state investigations and prosecutions throughout the United States and the world. These matters have included official corruption, RICO, violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, tax evasion, securities fraud, money laundering, health care fraud, identity theft, cyber currency crimes, and internal corporate investigations. He is also a recognized expert in the area of internet gambling and has represented and advised domestic and foreign corporations in this emerging practice area. Chuck began his practice as an Assistant District Attorney in the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office under legendary District Attorney Frank Hogan. He later served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York and as General Counsel to the New York City Department of Investigation.
Chuck has lectured widely and taught CLE courses in federal and state criminal practice for the New York State Bar Association and the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. He is also a long time faculty member of the Intensive Trial Advocacy Program at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. In 2008, Chuck was honored by the Frank S. Hogan Association, and in the same year was selected as a “Super Lawyer” in the New York City Metro area. Chuck recently received a mayoral appointment to the New York City Youth Board.
Recent Representative Matters
- Represented key official in the DeBlasio administration in investigations into official misconduct conducted by state and federal prosecutors. Investigations concluded with a finding of no illegal activities.
- Represented senior executives of foreign carrier in a federal anti-trust investigation into the “Roll on Roll off” carrier shipping industry.
- Represented corporate real estate executive in connection with a Department of Justice investigation into corruption and bribery of New York State elected officials.
- Represented the CEO of an international investment bank in connection with SEC investigation of auction rate securities.
- Represented senior executive of Big Pharma company in connection with U.S. Department of Justice investigation.
- Represented international internet poker site in connection with U.S. Department of Justice investigation of internet poker industry.
- Represented senior executive of interior construction industry in connection with industry-wide investigation by the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office.
- Represented target in N.Y. State Attorney General’s “pay-to-play” pension fund investigation.
- Represented executives of major investment bank in connection with SEC/U.S. Department of Justice antitrust investigation of municipal bond industry.
- Represented consultant to major international chemical company in connection to U.S. Department of Justice investigation into the alleged bribery of a foreign government minister.
- Represented foreign government minister in investigation into alleged bribe receiving.
- Represented political consultant in connection with investigation of political corruption by the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office.
- Retained by New York Stock Exchange member firm to conduct internal investigation of alleged insider trading.
- Retained by public company to conduct internal investigation into allegations of bribe receiving by senior executives.
- Represented foreign executives in connection with U.S. Department of Justice antitrust investigation into auto parts supply chain.
Chuck participates actively in many civic and professional organizations. He serves as vice-president of the Board of the Churchill School, Treasurer of the Board of Young Playwrights Inc. and a member of the Board of Directors of Hale House, organizations that serve the needs of children and young adults. He is a past Board member of the New York Council of Defense Lawyers and is a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, where he serves on the Criminal Law and Human Rights committees. Chuck is a member of the Board of Directors of the Legal Aid Society and a Director of the Fund for Modern Courts. Chuck is also a member of the Board of Directors of Gideon’s Promise. He has recently received a mayoral appointment to the New York City Youth Board.