Fordham Law School
State Bar of New York
U.S. District Courts:
Southern District of New York
Eastern District of New York
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Paul S. Hugel has been engaged in civil and criminal litigation since 1993. He has litigated business disputes, contract claims, insurance issues, civil fraud and securities cases in federal court around the country and in New York state courts. His criminal practice includes representation of individuals charged with federal crimes including securities fraud, bank fraud, health care fraud and insurance fraud. Paul practices in state and federal courts and before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Recent Representative Matters
- Representing the majority owner of a company in the diamond trade in litigation against a minority shareholder.
- Representing an owner of a New York company against breach of contract and fraud claims brought by an investor.
- Representing defendants in securities fraud litigation in which the SEC is seeking disgorgement of millions of dollars.
- Representing businesses in the New York diamond and jewelry trade on various insurance claims.
- Obtained a dismissal of all counts in a multi-million dollar civil racketeering case brought by the City of New York against a North Carolina cigarette distributor.
- Obtaining a dismissal of securities fraud charges brought by the SEC against a hedge fund manager following a three week trial in an SEC administrative court.
- Recovery of a $2 million diamond stolen by a dealer and sold to pawn shop.
- Recovery of $3 million dollars from the principals of a defunct corporation in a case involving the fraudulent conveyance of assets.